…with Cranberries & Apple!
Here’s the recipe for the holiday rice salad that I prepared for the Christmas party. It can be eaten at any time during the year, not just for the holidays! Everyone loved it and this dish makes for great left-overs too! This recipe is inspired by the Healthy Librarian over on Happy Healthy Long Life! (Link to her recipe can be found at the end!)
Ingredients for Holiday Rice:
1 cup of Basmati rice
1/2 cup of Jasmine rice
3 cups of water
1 cup of dried cranberries
2 firm green apples
Ingredients for the dressing:
1/2 cup of raw cashews soaked in 1/2 cup water for 30 minutes to a couple of hours.
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup orange juice (without the pulp)
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 tsp. Himalayan Sea Salt
Suggestions for Add ins — when the Holiday Rice Salad is complete:
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley (or add fresh basil or mint leaves)
3 grilled Field Roast Apple Sage sausages, sliced into 1/2 inch chunks.
Instructions for Rice:
1. In a medium-size saucepan combine the water, salt, and rice and cook over high heat. Cover the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook 30 minutes.
2. Chop the green apples into small chunks.
3. When the rice is cooked, let it cool a bit before you mix in the cranberries. Then start grilling the sausage. Remember that they will cook fast!
4. Add the apple to the rice and cranberries, then mix in the Apple Sage Sausage.
Dressing for Rice:
1. Blend cashews, lemon & orange juice, chopped garlic and salt in a blender. A Cuisinart food processer, Vitamix or even a Bullet will do the job just fine! Blend till smooth.
2. Add to Holiday rice and mix together. Add fresh ground pepper to taste!